Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Book Award
Established in 2014, the Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies supports teaching and research on all aspects of Iran and Persian Gulf Studies at Princeton University. We encourage a comprehensively interdisciplinary approach to advancing the understanding of the region, with special attention to its role and significance in the contemporary world. Our scholars and students explore a broad range of topics that address history, politics, economy, religion, literature, art and culture with a primary focus on the modern states that border the Persian Gulf. Promoting an inclusive approach, the Center supports innovative research projects, facilitates the production and dissemination of public knowledge about the region, and makes possible connections and conversations between scholarly communities.
In line with its mission, the Center has inaugurated a book award to be given every two years for the best scholarly monograph on topics in history, society, politics, economics, and cultures related to modern Iran and the Persian Gulf, broadly defined. The award will be granted by a committee of scholars of Iranian studies, appointed by the director of the Center.
Criteria and Nomination Guidelines:
- Nominations are accepted for scholarly monographs published in English between January 2021 and April 2024. Books translated into English are also eligible if the translation is published between January 2021 and April 2024.
- Edited volumes and new editions of previously published books will not be considered for the award.
- Nominations are accepted from authors or publishers. In either case, a single-page nomination letter with the subject line BOOK AWARD NOMINATION must be sent as PDF to email@example.com. The letter must include the monograph’s complete bibliographical information and a concise summary of the book’s contribution to the field of Iranian and/or Persian Gulf Studies.
- Nominations must be made by April 1, 2024 (for books published between January 2021-April 2024).
- Four copies of the book must be sent to:
c/o Sharmin and Bijan Mossavar-Rahmani
Center for Iran and Persian Gulf Studies
2-S-2 Green Hall
Princeton, NJ 08544
Books must be received before April 30, 2024.
- The award will be presented in August 2024 at the Biennial Meeting of the Association of Iranian Studies in Mexico City. The author will receive $1000 and will be invited to Princeton for a public presentation of the book.